Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Week 13: Vegetable Stuffing Bake


Source: Taste of Home, 5 Star Recipes (Sept. 2010)*
Overall Impression: Comfort
It was ... a good side dish for chicken or a good standalone vegetarian dish, maybe for meatless-Monday. 

Vegetable Stuffing Bake
Time =  1 hour
Servings = 8

Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups 1% or 2% milk**
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
1 box bread stuffing
1 stick butter, halved
1 small head broccoli, florets
1 small head cauliflower, florets***
1/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a large skillet over medium-high, heat olive oil.  Saute onions until softened.  Stir in flour until moist then add milk, stirring continually.  Add cheese and stir until melted.  Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until thickened.  Remove from heat.

In a large casserole dish, layer half the stuffing.  Melt half a stick of butter and pour over the stuffing.  Layer the broccoli and cauliflower florets.  Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables.  

In a small bowl, mix the rest of the stuffing with the rest of the melted butter and the chicken broth.  If it seems too dry, add a bit more broth.  Sprinkle over the casserole.

Bake, covered for 40 minutes.  Remove the lid and bake 5 more minutes or until the top is golden.

Notes:
* The original recipe used highly processed stuff like cream of mushroom soup and "cheese sauce."  Instead I made a sauce using oil, onions, flour, milk and cheese.  It takes a bit longer but is so much better for you.
** Don't use skim milk.  There needs to be good fats or the sauce won't thicken.  If you want really creamy sauce use whole milk.
*** The original recipe called for broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. I love Brussels sprouts but only pan fried, not baked.  So I used more broccoli.
 I used Mrs. Cubbison's Classic Dressing

 The vegetables with homemade cheesy sauce poured over.

 All baked up golden brown!

No comments:

Post a Comment