Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Week 15: Cheesy Root Veggie Bake

Source: I have no idea :-) I didn't make it up, but I wrote it down from somewhere without documenting the source
Overall Impression: Wow!
It was ... so easy, slice and ignore while it bakes and YUMMY!

Cheesy Root Veggie Bake
Time = 1 hr 30 min
Servings = 8

Ingredients:
olive oil
2 turnips, peeled
4 golden potatoes
1 large sweet potato, peeled
2 parsnips, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
1/2 onion
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, divided
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

I didn't snap a picture until it was half gone

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F.  Slice all veggies to 1/4" thick, except slice the onion as thin as you can.  Grease the inside of a large casserole dish with olive oil.  Layer half the veggies in the casserole dish.  Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and some salt and pepper.  Layer half the cheese over.  Repeat - veggies, rosemary, salt/pepper and cheese.  Bake, covered, for 50 minutes.  Check the middle with a knife to see if it's tender enough.  Bake 15 more minutes if necessary.  Uncover in the last 15 minutes if you like the top to get browned.

Notes:
Any root veggies will work.  You can use leeks instead of onions.  Some garlic heads would be good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment