Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Week 16: Swedish Meatballs

Source: The Joy of Cooking
Overall Impression: Perfect party meatballs

Swedish Meatballs
Time = 1 hr
Servings = 12

Ingredients:
2 slices day-old bread
1/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 small yellow onion
2 eggs
2 lbs ground beef or lamb*
1 1/2 Tablespoon dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice


Directions:
1.  Cut off the crusts from the bread and cut into 1 inch cubes.  Place in a large glass dish and pour milk over.  Let sit.
2.  Melt butter over medium-high heat.  Dice the onions and saute in butter until softened.  Remove from heat to let cool.
3.  Preheat oven to 375 F.
4.  Stir eggs into the bread/milk.  Add remaining ingredients and the onions.  Mix well - I used my hand to mix.
5.  Form meatballs approximately 1-inch in diameter.  Place on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes or until done throughout.

Notes:
* I used 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb ground turkey.  The mixture turned out a little soft which made the meatballs not stay in a perfect round ball.  If I use half turkey again, I'll add a third piece of bread to stiffen up the mixture.
** We served the meatballs with a sauce made of 10 oz grape jelly and 1 jar of Henze chili sauce.  It was the perfect dipping sauce and a big hit at the New Year's Eve party.  But I'll add a few dashes of Tapatio next time to give it more kick.
*** To keep everything warm, you can mix the meatballs into the dipping sauce and place in a crock pot on the warm setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment