Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Week 6: Butternut Mac-n-Cheese


Source: Cooking Light, September 2011
Overall Impression: Healthy but too much work
It was ... not really mac-n-cheese.  If you didn't know that is what it was suppose to be, then it'd be good - rich and creamy with a distinct butternut flavor.  But it was a lot of work and Jordan didn't like it, so I don't think I'll make it again.

Butternut Mac-n-Cheese
Time = 1 hr 20 min
Servings = 8

Ingredients: 
1 lb butternut squash
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 pint chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 1/2 c 1% milk
1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
1 lb whole wheat macaroni noodles
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
olive oil in a spray bottle
1/4 cup fresh snipped chives

Directions
Peel butternut squash and remove the seeds (see picture below).  Cut into 1" cubes.  In a large pot, pour in chicken broth and milk.  Add butternut and garlic.  Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce to medium and simmer for 20-25 min or until squash is soft.

When there is about 10 minutes left on the squash, bring a large pot of salted water to boil.  Add macaroni noodles.  Boil for 7-9 minutes or until noodles are done.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

While the noodles cook, make the sauce.  The original directions say to place butternut sauce in a blender.  But that was very messy (see picture below). I suggest using an immersion blender to make a nice smooth sauce.  While the sauce is still hot, stir in yogurt, all cheeses, salt and pepper.  Keep stirring until cheese is melted.

Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with olive oil.  Drain the noodles and pour into the baking dish.  Add cheese sauce.  Mix thoroughly.  It will seem soupy, but it thickens up in the oven.

Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.  (The original directions added some bread crumbs before baking.  I skipped this because the noodles are enough wheat for me.)

Sprinkle with chives right before serving.


Butternut peeled and seeded

Messy, messy

No comments:

Post a Comment