Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Week 7: Orzo with Tomato and Kale


Source: Cooking Light, October 2012
Overall Impression: "Ok, that's delicious" (direct quote from Jordan)
It was ... a perfect weeknight meal.  Easy, fast, yummy and leftovers!  I think this will be a new favorite around here.

Orzo with Tomato and Kale
Time = 30 min
Servings = 8
Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs
1/2 large yellow onion*
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
sea salt
fresh cracked black pepper
8 cups water
16 oz orzo*
2 large tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cup frozen kale, thawed*
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Heat olive oil in large skillet.  Use kitchen shears to cut chicken into bite size pieced; cut directly into the skillet.  Chop the onion and add to skillet.  Season with garlic powder, salt and black pepper.

Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add orzo and boil for 8 minutes or until desired consistency.

While the orzo is cooking, chop tomatoes.  Add to chicken along with tomato paste, kale and basil - stir.  When orzo is done, drain and add to the skillet.  Mix thoroughly and remove from heat.

Stir in feta cheese.  Serve with Parmesan cheese for sprinkling.

*Notes
In my world, 99% of pasta dishes should have onion (and garlic).  The original recipe didn't call for it, so I added onion and I'm glad I did.  Provided some good flavor.

Orzo, for those who don't know, is rice-shaped pasta.  Jordan was skeptical that it was really, truly pasta until she took a bite.  Also, the original recipe called for 12 oz of orzo, but at the store all the bags and boxes of orzo were 16 oz (which equals one pound).  So that is what I used.

The original recipe called for fresh spinach.  I had forgotten to get spinach at the store but I did have frozen kale.  So I thawed it out.  I'm not sure anyone would know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment