Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 8: White Chicken Chili


Source: Pinterest*
Overall Impression: Wow!
It was ... so easy and really, really delicious.  Now I get the hype on Pinterest.

White Chicken Chili
Time = 15 min active, 8 hours in slow cooker
Servings = 8

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts or 6 chicken thighs
10.5 oz can diced tomatoes (undrained)
10.5 oz can kidney beans (undrained)
10.5 oz can corn kernels (undrained)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
18 oz package cream cheese
1 package ranch dressing dry mix
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
optional - 1 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:
Put everything in the slow cooker in the order listed.  Break up the cream cheese and make sure it's down into the liquid (so it will melt).  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Stir it well 30 minutes before serving to make sure the cream cheese is all melted and the chicken breaks up.

Yep it's that easy!

*Notes
Pinterest is the worst enabler for a recipe junkie like me.  It's endless looking through everyone's boards.  And I've been on a slow-cooker kick lately.  So, when the pins started blowing up with this "white chicken chili" recipe I knew I had to try it.

I can't really source the recipe to one person or site because I looked at no less than five variations before I came up with the combined recipe shown above.

Honestly I thought about how it would turn out on and off all day long.  It seems that most things that get a lot of hype turn out to seriously lack luster.    But when I opened the door at home and smelled the wonderfulness that was coming from the kitchen, I knew we were in for a treat!

Jeremy said "Wow!" after one bite.  After about 5 minutes Jordan said "Why are you two so quiet?"  Jeremy said "Don't bother me, I'm eating."

No comments:

Post a Comment