Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Week 11: Cauliflower Chicken


Source: My Mom (story below)
Overall Impression: All-time Favorite
It was ... comfort food from my childhood and now Jeremy and Jordan love it too!  

Cauliflower Chicken (aka Alugobi)
Time =  1 hour
Servings = 6

Ingredients:
1 large head cauliflower
canola oil
4 chicken breasts
1 cup rice
2 1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon beef bullion
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
Pour oil into a frying pan, with lid, until oil is 1.5 - 2 inches deep and heat over medium-high.  While oil is heating up, cut cauliflower into florets.  If some of the florets are big, cut in half.

Place cauliflower into hot oil.  Cook until golden brown - turn to make sure all sides golden.  Remove to paper towels to drain.  Discard oil and use a paper towel to wipe out the pan.  Place pan back on stove over medium heat.

Cut each chicken breast in half and place in pan.  Pour rice over and then water.  Add bullion, cumin and salt.  Then put the cauliflower back in the pan. 

Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low and cover.  Let cook until all water is absorbed (about 20-25 min).

Story:
When my dad was in graduate school his roommate was from India.  One evening when my mom was visiting, his roommate made dinner for them.  My mom, being the great cook she is, was able to recreate it based on memory.

My whole childhood I grew up eating "cauliflower chicken" and loving it.  Then, many years later, my husband is working with a number of people from India. In the lunch room he smells what is clearly cauliflower chicken.  (You'll understand the distinct arroma if you make this dish.)  He asked the guy about the dish and was told it's called Alugobi.

Jordan loves this dinner and it makes great leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment