Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Week 10: Chicken Gumbo


Source: Family Circle, October 2012
Overall Impression: Keeper
It was ... very easy and healthy.  I didn't even get a picture because it was devoured so quickly.  Jeremy said, "You can make this anytime."   

Chicken Gumbo
Time = 30 minutes
Servings = 8

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
4 garlic cloves, diced
6 green onions, sliced, whites and greens separated
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package (8 oz) frozen okra, thawed
1/8 cayenne pepper*

Directions:
In a pot with a lid, bring chicken broth to boil.  Add rice, cover and cook until all liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add chicken pieces and cook until no longer pink on the outside, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and scallions (white parts of the green onions).  Cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.  Add oregano, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.  Cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in tomatoes, okra and cayenne and bring to simmer.

When rice is done, stir into chicken mixture.**  Top with green onions.

Notes:
* Add some cayenne but wait until it's all mixed with the rice to taste and decide if you want more cayenne.  
** You may have to choose a bigger pot and put everything in there to stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment