Testimonial

I'm a working mom who loves to cook. I don't subscribe to any diet fads and we don't have dietary restrictions in our house. We just love healthy, home-cooked, from-scratch food.

To say I'm addicted to recipes is an understatement. I can sit and read a cookbook like you read a novel. Magazines with recipes litter my desk and counter tops. Even if I cooked a new recipe every week, it'd be years before I got through them all. So ... I'm going to give it a try.

What you'll find in my blog is a record of the recipe I try each week and my opinion of the recipe - was it easy, how much time did it take, did my daughter like it, was it cheap and other thoughts.

Happy cooking!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Week 9: Chicken Pepperoni Pasta

Source: Cooking Light, February 2012
Overall Impression: Mambo Italiano!
It was ... easy, easy, easy!  And fast!  And full of flavor!  

Chicken Pepperoni Pasta
Time = 30 minutes
Servings = 8

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 chicken breasts, cut in half*
2 garlic cloves
handful pepperoni slices
1/4 teaspoon Oregano
salt and pepper
25.5 oz jar marinara sauce
2 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 cup shredded part-skim 
mozzarella cheese
fresh basil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large, oven-proof iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add chicken.  Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until slightly golden.

While chicken is cooking, peal and dice garlic.  Coarsely chop the pepperoni.  When you flip the chicken, sprinkle the garlic and pepperoni around the chicken.  Then sprinkle all with oregano, salt and pepper.

Pour marinara sauce over everything.  Put in the oven for 15 minutes.  

While the chicken is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to boil.  Add the penne and cook to desired consistency.

After the chicken has cooked for 15 minutes, top with mozzarella.  Turn the oven from bake to broil.  Cook until the cheese just starts to brown - about 10 minutes.  Take out of oven and put basil leaves on.

Serve one piece of chicken and sauce over pasta.  While the chicken and pasta were cooking, I also made a quick garden salad with romaine lettuce, shredded carrots and cherry tomatoes.

Notes:
* You should have 8 pieces of chicken.  To save some money, use 8 chicken thighs instead of 4 chicken breasts.  



No comments:

Post a Comment